Saturday, April 21, 2007

Signs


No, not M. Night Shyamalan or Tesla.

I'm talking about the signs at my health club. Specifically, I'm talking about signs that some people apparently don't read.

To wit:

SPIT IN TRASH CANS ONLY

This particular sign is posted near each water fountain at the club. But every morning that I go to work out, I find a loogie in one of the water fountains. Nothing like a nice frothy hocker staring you in the face as you bend down to take a drink.

PLEASE TURN OFF AFTER USE

Two signs with this request appear near the electronic scale in the locker room. The scale runs on batteries that tend not to last very long; hence, the signs are necessary. However, nearly every time I walk past the scale, I see that someone has used the scale and left it on. I usually turn it off at least once every trip to the gym. Sometimes, I turn it off multiple times. A bit obsessive compulsive on my part, I know. But I want to weigh in every morning, so I want the scale batteries to last. Therefore, I turn off the scale.

The signs are conspicuously posted. The water fountain signs are right above each fountain. Unless you're severely myopic, you should see them long before you bend down to take a drink. The scale signs are posted on each side of the scale's LCD readout. Anyone who looks at the readout to see his or her weight should see the signs. What's more, the words are done in large, boldface blue and red font so the words stand out.

And yet, the signs are ignored. Why? Are people simply too busy to absorb the words in front of them, too lazy to be bothered with the instructions, or simply acting in defiance of authority? Is there some sort of "sign rebellion" going on at my health club? If I'm correct about human nature at all, the ignorance is willful, as illustrated by this story from Colorado. Many of us have a defiant streak, especially if obeying instructions means that we'll have to suffer an inconvenience.

However, I'll continue to be the sign police at my health club. I'll continue to turn off the scale, and I'll continue to complain about the snot in the water fountains.

No comments: